Thursday, June 15, 2006

a-ha - "The Living Daylights"

a-ha - "The Living Daylights": "Okay, I know I'm going to get teased for this, for several reasons:
1) It's from the guys who are only known for 'Take On Me'.
2) The James Bond franchise had a huge hit with the Duran Duran theme for "View To A Kill." They then picked a-ha to do the theme for the next movie, to try and replicate the huge Duran Duran chart success - and clearly failed.
3) It's kind of cheesy (but as my readers know, this doesn't always stop me).
That said, I've always been drawn to the fact that it is clearly modeled on 'View To A Kill' - yet it takes more of a queue from Euro-synth, where Duran Duran looked more to American rock and funk elements. And, really, there's something cute about how a-ha tries to sound so cool and bad-ass here."

3 comments:

DJ Wallaby said...

True, and I hear the new album (import-only) is good too, but doesn't it seem like a-ha is always the punchline to some joke? I think that's where the embarassment comes from. But did you ever see the Family Guy episode where Chris enters the "Take On Me" video? Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

you're a fucking moron, try actually listening to something beyond take on me dipshit

DJ Wallaby said...

It's always impressive when someone leaves a negative comment without the guts to identify themselves. Besides, what makes you think I've only heard "Take On Me" ?