Thursday, December 23, 2010

Soul Coughing - "Screenwriter's Blues"

Soul Coughing - "Screenwriter's Blues": ""It's funny how much I disliked this song when it came out - I think my thought was "who are these self-indulgent NYC snobs who think they're King Missle?" - and how much I love it now. It apparently just took some time for me to come around to it, probably sometime after "Down To This" made me give them a second look. While it kind of fails as a poison love letter to Los Angeles, it does paint a pretty good picture of tongue-in-cheek sweetness as cynicism. It also contains one of what became one of my favorite song lyrics: "We are all in some way or another going to Reseda...someday...to die." That's a comment on life and/or The Valley - and I'm not sure which, but it works either way."

No comments: