Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Diamanda Galas - "Sono L'Antichristo"

Diamanda Galas - "Sono L'Antichristo": "I don't really listen to death metal, heavy industrial, or other music that's arguably intentionally torturous and anti-social. You know, the kind of music you might listen to as a middle finger to everyone else. It's just not my bag. Yet, for some reason, I completely love Diamanda Galas, even though I know she gives nightmares to everyone I've ever met (save for one person). Listening to this song is probably horrific for most folks, but it seems to actually put me in a good mood. Maybe not the same way Apples In Stereo put me in a good mood, for example, and not because I'm into the lyrics (which I can largely only gather from the song title) but it does tickle me, none the less. I just think she's amazing for using her voice as a multi-faceted instrument for everything from ballads to (more often) screeching. I'm sure she knows it's challenging for listeners, but I don't think she could get her point across any better any other way...and I hope she doesn't actually care anyway.
Enjoy at your own peril."

No comments: