Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Cure - "New Day"

The Cure - "New Day": "I first discovered this Cure b-side on the b-side of Standing On A Beach - the cassette version of Staring At The Sea, the first Cure singles collection, which included the b-sides to many of the singles' a-sides. I recall once listening to the track on my headset at school, in class. The room was silent, but I didn't think anyone could hear the music...which they didn't, until the 1:05 mark on the song, when Robert Smith shreiks out "NEEEEWWWWWW DAAAAAY!" like a cat in a grinder - and the room suddenly broke out into laughter. To them, it did sound like a maimed animal's scream cutting through a silent room...which led people to ask just what the hell I was listening to."

2 comments:

Andy said...

"Lovesong" is hands down my favorite Cure single for b-sides. Both "2 Late" and "Fear of Ghosts" are absolutely FLOORING. And with lyrics like "And the further I get/from the things I care about/the less I care about/the further away I get" how can you go wrong?

DJ Wallaby said...

Those are both great b-sides, in terms of them both being on the same disc, and they are great on their own as well - but I'm still partial to the other 1984-ish b-sides: "The Exploding Boy", "A Few Hours After This".