Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Curtis Mayfield - "(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go"

Curtis Mayfield - "(Don't Worry) If There's A Hell Below We're All Going To Go": "I guess I'm in a 70s soul mode this week, eh? This song is so bold - musically and lyrically - that it blows me away, especially when I think of how long ago Curtis put it out. I could listen to that intro section with the fuzz bass and the girl talking about the bible on a loop. If that bass line hasn't been sampled somewhere, then all the sample-happy fools out there have truly missed out on a gem. (And if it has been used, someone should drop me a line and let me know where to look.) It doesn't even matter that he's gone now - Curtis is still brilliant and more people need to hear his music."

No comments: